The Art of Welding
Welding refers to a fabrication process that causes coalescence between materials such as metals, thermoplastics, and others. In welding, heat is used to melt the workpieces, and a filler material is used to form a weld pool or molten material. When the weld pool solidifies, a strong joint will be formed. Welding is an important process for the construction of various objects and structures, and it can be applied to the creation of functional objects as well as works of art, such as sculptures. The process of welding functional objects is often uncomplicated, because it is performed with the sole purpose of joining materials together. Sculptural welding, on the other hand, requires extensive knowledge and skill, because it involves welding materials of different shapes and colors. Here are links to more information about the art of welding.
Famous Metal Work Artists
- Henry Moore: BBC web page that contains lots of information about legendary English sculptor Henry Moore.
- Alexander Calder: A foundation that is dedicated to promoting appreciation for the works of Alexander Calder, a famous sculptor who had perfected the art of sculptural welding.
- David Smith: Website dedicated to American sculptor David Smith.
- Antoine Pevsner: Biography of renowned sculptor Antoine Pevsner, who is highly regarded for his innovative welding techniques.
- Anthony Caro: Official website of Anthony Caro, one of the most important contemporary English sculptors.
- Richard Hunt: Comprehensive information about modern American sculptor Richard Hunt.
- Julio Gonzalez: Biography of Spanish artist and sculptor Julio Gonzalez, who was a master of sculptural welding.
- Beverly Pepper: Website that contains biography and images of the works of American sculptress Beverly Pepper.
- Vera Mukhina: The life and achievements of Vera Mukhina, the Queen of Soviet Sculpture.
- Eila Hiltunen: Website constructed in remembrance of pioneer modern sculptress Eila Hiltunen.
- Worker and Kolkhoz Woman: Images of the Vera Mukhina's Worker and Kolkhoz Woman, one of the earliest welded sculptures.
- Cubi XX: Photo of Cubi XX, a welded stainless steel sculpture by David Smith.
- Large Arch: Picture and description of the Large Arch, a famous sculpture by Henry Moore.
- Odalisque: The welded steel sculpture Odalisque by Anthony Caro.
- Chicago Picasso: Photographs of an untitled welded sculpture by Picasso in Chicago's Civic Center Plaza.
- Maternity: Information about the Maternity, an abstract steel sculpture by Julio Gonzalez.
- Harlem Hybrid: Article that discusses the Harlem Hybridsculpture by Richard Hunt.
Schools and Classes
- Art Institute of Chicago Welding Workshop: Find out about the Art Institute of Chicago’s wood and metal workshops, which include welding workshop.
- Ohio University Sculpture Program: Join the Ohio University undergraduate sculpture program to learn the art of welding.
- New York University Art Workshops: Information on sculpture welding and other workshops that are available at the New York University.
- California Institute of Art Welding Course: Course information for sculpture and art welding studies at the California Institute of Art.
- Austin Community College Welding:Excellent welding course from the Austin Community College.
- Art Welding Class from The Crucible: Learn sculpture welding from The Crucible, a non-profit organization that offers fine and industrial arts courses.
- Unique Welding Projects: A wonderful collection of unique art welding projects.
- Sculpture Welding Project Ideas: Create wonderful metal sculptures with these art welding project ideas.
- Plasma Cutting Tables: CNC plasma cutting tables for architectural iron work and projects.
- Welding Devices and Supplies: An article that provides information about welding devices and supplies.